PSP and Driving

You are obliged by law to inform the Road Safety Authority if:

  • you develop any chronic neurological condition
  • you develop any listed condition for driving
  • your condition affects your driving

If you are involved in an accident without informing the Road Safety Authority you run the following risks:

  • you’re insurance will not cover you,
  • losing any no claims bonus you may have
  • Prosecution
    Informing the Road Safety Authority does not necessarily exclude you from driving but you may need to have your driving ability assessed at a Mobility Centre. An assessment of your driving ability is free if referred by the Road Safety Authority.

When adaption’s and accessories are required contact The Irish Wheelchair Association ( and the Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland ( who will provide all the advice and information you require.

Some things to consider if you are driving:

  • Panoramic or special mirrors that give greater visibility
  • power steering,
  • anti-lock brakes
  • parking sensors
  • changing to an automatic car may be an easier option

Lack of mobility in Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Corticobasal Degeneration means you may be entitled to a disabled a parking permit. In the beginning you may feel you don’t need this but as your mobility becomes more compromised it will make life easier for you and those that care for you.

Talk to your doctor about your condition and discuss your ability to drive in relation to your health status.  Loss of strength, slower reaction time, lack of concentration, vision problems may arise.  Driving can become more hazardous.

If members of your family suggest that you should stop driving you should take heed. They may be worried about you or your driving may have changed and you may not be as aware of the subtle changes as they occur.   Risk–taking can be present in Progressive Supranuclear Palsy so listen and discuss the options with them.  They care about you and want you to be safe.

What happen if I stop driving?

You may have difficulty taking advice to give up driving but it is for your own safety and the safety of anyone who travels with you and others who meets you on the road.

What are your alternatives?

  • another member of your family drives
  • friend helps out
  • local transport,
  • taxi
  • community transport.

Free Travel

You may be entitled to free travel because of age or disability. You have enough to contend with leave the driving to someone else. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
(Benefits & Entitlements)

 Disabled  Parking Card

The Parking Card can be used by an eligible person when travelling in any vehicle but it must be displayed and is valid for two years. For more information (Mobility Benefit)


Vantastic provides an affordable and accessible door-door transport service in the Dublin Area for people with disabilities and citizens age 65+.   Membership necessary.

Other useful devices

Getting in and out of a car can be difficult and some aids are available that can make life easier such as:

  • a portable swivel seat
  • Car Caddie is a hand grip that allows the user to pull forward and up from the seat
  • Leverage devices that can be fitted to the receiver side of the door  for extra exit support
  • Slide sheets